Dale Hill Captain’s Meeting
Friday 23rd July 2021
Present: Carl Rundgren (CR), John Tolliday (JT), Neal Jones (NJ), Margaret Cudmore (MC), Tony Shrimpling (TS), Louise Simmons (LS)
Apologies: Neil Durrant
Previous Minutes: Accepted
1. Pro Shop (JT reporting)
- Membership= 728
- Subs renewal had seen around 20 members not renew, so a very good result in the current climate.
- A lot of competitions recently but last week had been club champs week. Congrats to Ian Pether for winning Club champs and senior club champs, first time the double had been completed. Then to Olivia Heard for winning ladies Club Champs.
- Darcie had joined the team as a new member since last meeting. Josh had also been employed as a general assistant clearing the driving range at night and doing course drive rounds late at night checking on things.
- Stock wise for the pro shop, proving difficult to get stock in from all brands currently.
- Buggy fleet had been received, and all buggies were going out very regularly, unfortunately due to the heavy rains over the last couple of months there had been some days where it was dangerous to allow buggies out.
- Team competition from the club side, the team had lost their Birchwood match against Crowborough away.
- Inputting of score into Intel golf after competitions had improved, all agreed.
- Course measurement of the red tees for mens would be completed when the course team came out to measure in the future. The same would be completed for Ladies going onto the yellows on both courses and whites on the Old Course. However the rating team have said the woosnam is too long and diffiucult from the white tees so would not be rated for lady golf purposes.
2. Hotel and Golf Club (CR reporting)
- New till system- some frustrations in getting a date booked for the changeover., this is imminent and will be communicated as soon as it is in hand.
- Cinema night on 29th August, the new Lion King would be on show.
- Bunker project had been successful up to now, well done to the greenkeepers for completing the majority of the greensides on the woosnam course.
- Orangery project had been successfully completed, a nice new area to enjoy.
- Ladies lunch- looking at 7th October for the next lunch with Chapel down.
- Staffing for hospitality had been very difficult with the pandemic and moving away from the EU. Chefs in particular are very rare to find. We are getting there but difficult to know when and if we will ever be fully staffed. Some new managers had started recently. Louise our new Housekeeping manager, Lauren our New assistant F&B manager. Lili is going to move over to F&B department again in then near future as a breakfast supervisor.
- Shoe machines require some repairs, these are booked in.
- Showers in gents changing rooms, they are requiring a large repair. Maintenance is working on this, but difficult to source parts. COVID is being blamed by suppliers and contractors!!!
3. Golf Courses (ND)
- Weather had been tough, a lot of rain and then 30 degrees heat.
- General course maintenance had been the top priority as grass continues to fly out the ground. When this slows down then other projects can be looked at.
- Bunker project- this month completed 16, 17 and 18th Holes greenside bunkers. Next up is pot bunkers on the 9th , 11th and 14th before going onto the 12th Hole bunkers and the 14th Right hand bunker. It will cost around £18k in sand once all completed.
- Greens renovations coming up in August, all greens on Old Course will be drilled and filled with our new piece of equipment. Will make it much better in the winter.
- A request made to clear out bramble around 16th tee down the path on the woosie and between 12th green and 13th tee as well as 14th green to 15 the tees on the Old Course.
4. Members Fund
- Currently a good surplus in the account of £5721.91
- Captains have agreed for a club gazebo to be purchased for the members events, a budget of £1k agreed. JT would source one and come back with options.
- NJ has also suggested that up to 5 trophies will need replacing as there is no trophy for the competition. He would look into this further and revert with costs to get new trophies.
- CR would put the account balance onto IG so all members could see what was going on with this account.
5. Captains Reports
Ladies section (MC)
- Slight dip in numbers over last few competitions.
- Senior champs had been won by Linda Beasley.
- Olivia played super golf to win Ladies club champs.
- Invitation day had been very successful with some great food and £600 raised for charity from the raffle.
- Friendly matches were going well and the Sussex competitions had been the same with some good teams being fielded.
- MC mentioned a new idea of Nine and Wine, will be discussing this more with JT and hopes to get it off the ground soon.
- Looking at reducing some competitions in 2022.
- The World handicap system seems to be working ok, ladies are getting used to the system, Buddy system well established and working well with new lady members.
- Photographic competition had been sent off to be judged by the Royal photographic society.
- Maureen hope watts would be stepping down from her role of secretary in the committee
- There was going to be a change to the voucher system with these being purchased and produced all in one go once a month.
Men’s Section (NJ)
- NJ reported club section had been fairly peaceful, with good attendance at competitions.
- Had found some difficulties getting team members for SLOGGS. TS offered to email out to all seniors.
- Very exciting that the Cyril Blake team had reached the final, this to be played on 6th September, venue to be confirmed.
- 4Hills trophy was going well, but needed something extraordinary to triumph in the last match.
- Mixed matches had also been going well.
6. Juniors (LS)
- Olivia winning club Champs was a real highlight, she loves it at Dale Hill.
- 45 juniors in the section- 10 down on last report
- Attendance at coaching on Wednesdays is not good, does not seem to be working and constantly chasing the juniors to attend.
- A number of the juniors are working at Dale Hill, and they are not attending competitions as working.
- LS looking to arrange a face to face meeting with the juniors to see how what can be done to improve participation.
- A lot of competitions upcoming in august with junior championship, summer cup, captains day and the downland league.
- LS would like a meeting with JT to discuss the way forward with the juniors.
- LS looking at possibility of forming a junior committee
- Charlie carpenter has offered to help LS. JT confirmed he will require a DBS check to be completed if that is the case.
- LS is thinking on introducing a generation day game with juniors, club, ladies and seniors all playing.
- Junior Captains decision will be made shortly.
- CR and JT confirmed that LS is covered under our Insurance as a volunteer.
7. Seniors (TS)
- TS asked if two tee starts can begin again, CR and JT confirmed all ok to go ahead.
- TS would like to reintroduce cash payments for Old Course competitions and money to be taken in the bar after golf.
- Bank payments would still be taken for Woosnam Course competitions.
- Seniors inputting of results has improved dramatic ally over the last few weeks.
- Seniors invitation Day was won by Neal Jones.
- Friendly matches attendance has not been as good as it normally is, a reserve list is being introduced by Peter Cudmore.
- Competitions have seen good attendance with between 60 and 70 players competing. The main competitions are over the next couple of months.
- Peter Cudmore is leaving the committee and Torsten Behling is taking over.
- The next Seniors Captain has not been decided as yet
- MC asked if CR to check soap levels in toilets for Lady Captains Day on Monday.
- CR mentioned that senior friendlies were on Fridays recently causing some complaints from members as Friday mornings were popular with members playing golf and they could not get a tee time due to these matches being played. TS will look at dates and move future dates to mid week dates.
- Suggestion to hand out trophies to last years winners on presidents day. JT or CR to check with John Taylor.
- TS made a suggestion to include another score input machine into the bar. Would need to look at cost and where to put it. JT suggested lets see what need is like once the two tee starts and go from there. There is also the app to download and input scores onto.
Next Captains meeting
Minutes Taken by: Carl Rundgren